So you’re wondering how to go viral on TikTok, huh? Well, I don’t blame you! It’s the social media platform everyone can’t stop talking about, and the app has experienced tremendous growth since quarantine started. It’s no longer a place where pre-teens do silly dances and lipsync, but a community where people of all ages share a variety of content on anything from goofy dog vids, to life as an astronaut, to how to trade a bobby pin for a house. Any type of content can succeed on the platform, which is part of what makes it so fun.
The first thing you need to know is that in its current state, TikTok is a meritocracy that gives every video a chance by showing it to a small audience on the For You Page (FYP). Yes, even if you have 0 followers. If your video performs well with this small group, TikTok will continue to push it out to more people that they think will like it. Because of this, typically you can tell in the first hour or two if you have a viral video on your hands.
While I just joined TikTok 3 months ago, I’ve personally had over 14 Million video views in the past 30 days, which is why I’m here to help you learn how to go viral on TikTok. I’ve spent the past 4 years geeking out over social media analytics and organic growth trends.
Alright, so how do you go viral on TikTok? Here are my best tips:
1. Kick your video off with a bang
2. When deciding on video length, keep it as short as possible
3. Record your own audio nice
4. Use trending music/sounds or tracks
5. Tell a story
6. Share tips, advice, favorite things
7. Always have a strong call to action
8. Include random details for people to comment on
9. Leave some questions unanswered
10. Do something slightly controversial
11. Be relatable, aspirational, or hateable ?
12. Make it so that some parts of the video need to be rewatched
13. Have text on the opening video frame
14. Don’t use #FYP, #foryou, or other generic hashtags
15. Reply to all your comments
16. Post frequently
17. Don’t stick to a niche right away
18. If you’re talking about a specific product, don’t link it right away
19. Spend at least 15-30 mins a day watching videos on the FYP
20. KEEP AT IT!!